The Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie is a free, beginner friendly crochet pattern that only uses single crochet stitches. It is simple, yet slouchy and modern. This crochet beanie pattern is unisex, but I do think it would be a great mens gift. If you’re still in the beginning stages, this crochet beanie pattern will help you to practice the single crochet stitch while also learning new variations of the stitch. I hope you love this free crochet pattern for the Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie!
A few years ago I guest posted on the Made With A Twist blog for the 30 Days of Cozy blog hop. And now it’s being featured AGAIN in The Best Of 30 Days of Cozy! This blog hop will feature 60 of the top favorite designs included in the 30 Days of Cozy bundles throughout the years.
My goal with this crochet beanie was to make it look like a fisherman beanie, hence the name.
There are so many options to make this crochet beanie unique to you. From the color, to resizing, and even using different yarn weights, you can customize it the way you like. Because the construction of the Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie is so simple, you can create this hat using light, medium, bulky, and even super bulky weight yarn!
The free crochet beanie pattern listed below will be for the Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie using medium weight yarn for an average woman size.
If you’d like to make this hat in a lightweight, bulky, or super bulky yarn in multiple sizes, I’ve put those instructions inside the inexpensive, ad-free PDF. Within the PDF, you will also find color-coded, quick-reference charts that will tell you how many chains you need to start and how many rows for each size and yarn weight. The math has been done for you. Grab a copy here!
This post may contain affiliate links, please view my disclosure policy for details.
Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie | Free Crochet Pattern
- Get the ad-free PDF pattern with multiple sizes and color coded charts HERE on Etsy
- Or you can grab it over on Ravelry instead
- PIN this pattern to your Pinterest boards for later HERE.
- Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti Pilling (medium #4, 100% acrylic, 185yds, 3.5oz)
- 1 skein in Silver Heather
- 5mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
*All Sigoni Macaroni patterns are written in standard US terms *
- Ch – chain
- BLO – back loop only
- FLO – front loop only
- Rep – repeat
- Sc – single crochet
- Sl st – slip stitch
|US TERMS||UK TERMS|
|Single Crochet (sc)||Double Crochet (dc)|
Measurements are calculated as a rectangle before the beanie is sewn together
- Women’s Hat Size: 12 inches (31cm) wide x 18 inches (46cm) long
- 22 sc and 21.5 rows = 5” (13cm) in pattern – Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain gauge.
- Single Crochet Tutorial
- How to work in the front loop/back loop only
- Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie Video Tutorial
- The mustard colored hat in the photos was made using Yarn Bee Must Be Merino (lightweight #3) in the color Gold
- Create your gauge swatch as the pattern is written in order to measure gauge accurately
- This crochet beanie pattern was designed with 3.5 inches positive ease for the length and 3 inches negative ease for the width
- To customize your hat size: increase/decrease number of starting chains to adjust hat height; increase/decrease number of rows to adjust hat circumference
- For more sizes and instructions to resize based on yarn weight, purchase the inexpensive, premium PDF.
Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie Pattern Instructions
Row 1: Ch 54, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch down row. Ch 1, turn. (53)
Row 2: Sc in FLO of each st across. Ch 1, turn. (53)
Row 3: Sc in BLO of each st across. Ch 1, turn. (53)
Rep rows 2-3 alternatively until you reach row 77 or until your work measures 18 inches (46cm).
Do not tie off.
Fold your work in half so that the last row you worked and the foundation row are aligned (with the right side on the inside). Sl st in each st across.
Tie off leaving approximately 20 inches to sew.
Insert tapestry needle about 3 rows down and weave in and out of each row, all-around the top of the hat.
Pull tight to close and sew the hole shut.
Turn your hat inside out and you’re done!
I hope you enjoyed today’s free crochet beanie pattern! Not only would the Easy Peasy Fisherman Beanie make a great crochet gift for men, but it’s clearly unisex. This beginner friendly pattern only uses single crochet stitches, but different variations of the stitch. Have you ever worked in the front loop or back loop before?
Let me know in the comments who you’re planning on making this hat for! Happy hooking!